Last week I made Red velvet cupcakes. I used Laura Vitale's recipe. They were absolutely great, everyone here loved it including my sister's kiddos ! I didn't make any icing for the cupcakes, but if you'd like to make it you can find it in the original recipe at Laura's site.
(For 11 to 12 Normal sized cupcakes...that'll make 20+ mini cupcakes. Sorry I lost count of the total cupcakes because I ate up half the batch as and when they were ready! :P)
1 ¼ cup of all Purpose Flour
2 cubes of cooking chocolate
½ teaspoon of Baking Powder
½ teaspoon of Baking Soda
¼ teaspoon of Salt
¼ cup of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
¾ cup of Granulated sugar
¾ cup of Buttermilk
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
Red food Coloring
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients ( Flour, Baking powder, Baking soda and Salt).
- In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, add the egg, the 2 cubes of chocolate (melted) and vanilla and mix until well combined and creamy.
- Mix together half the dry ingredients and half the buttermilk into the wet ingredients , make sure its combined and add the remaining dry ingredients and buttermilk making sure to combine everything together but not over mixing.
- Switch on the Mini cupcake maker and let it heat up for about 5 minutes. When the cupcake maker is ready the red light will come on.
- While the cupcake maker heats up, add enough food coloring to get the desired red color for your cupcakes.
- In the Mini Cupcake maker, line the cupcake holes with cake cases and spoon the mixture equally between them. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes.
- Lift the cupcake maker's lid and check if the cupcakes are ready. Use a cocktail stick to test them, it should come out clean.
- When the cakes are ready turn them out and let it cool.